Monday, July 7, 2008

Sick? My family? Never!!!

My family is never sick, there is never anything wrong with us, so this may all be a surprise to all of you, but we had sickness in our home and what I thought was sickness turned out to be an injury.
First Sawyer started with a very high fever that I could not get under control. And I mean hot, I was up all night trying to cool him down, but he would choke on the tylenol and throw it up, so I had to resort to stripping him and cool rags and standing in front of the air conditioner, he didn't like any of those. He started his high fever on Thursday last week and on Saturday morning I noticed his tongue looked funny. Then I noticed his throat all white, Strep throat. Poor baby, he was miserable and still continued to burn up. The kids lost the thermometer playing with it so I don't really know how warm, but my mommymeter registered really worried. There have only been a few times with the kids that I was extremely worried to the point of not being able to sleep and this was one of them. I couldn't get him to cool down and he was miserable.
Then Avarie was not acting herself. The night of the fourth she complained about her tummy hurting, she had way too many sweets that day, so I just thought upset tummy. Craig put her to bed, but the next day she was just not doing well. She laid on the couch all day, crying about her tummy, but still eating and drinking. She had no fever, no flu symptoms or anything else. She continued to just get worse as the day went on. She would not let anyone touch her and she did not want to move and I mean literally did not want to move. As it got later it began to seem odd to me. I finally was able to get her to show me where her tummy hurt, it wasn't her tummy she was complaining about it was her ribs. I grew concerned. Craig thought I was over reacting, but something just didn't feel right about it. I ended up taking her to the emergency room Saturday night around 11pm. The dr's were concerned because her pain was coming from her sternum. Anyway, somehow she got a severly bruised sternum, possibly cracked, but the x-ray was hard to read. Sternums are hard to x ray I guess because of all the other bones and spinal column. Either way they would treat it the same. They tried to bind her to help with the pain, but that made her inconsolable. So we decided just to let her be. Motrin seems to be helping the pain as long as we stay on top of it. Turns out she also had a urinary tract infection adding to her misery.
Grandma and Grandpa G took Addisen and Carter Saturday night until today. What an amazing relief that was. Between holding Sawyer nonstop and Avarie's pain there was just nothing left of me to give to anyone else. I could barely split myself up enough for the two of them. Oh by the way Craig was not feeling well during all of this either, so he wasn't a whole lot of help, at least not on Saturday, Sunday he was much better about helping.
So thank you Grandma and Grandpa you are amazing people who step in and know how to help with out even needing to be asked. You are a blessing to us.
Everyone seems to be on the mend, and I think I may actually get to sleep through the night tonight I am so excited, I haven't slept more then 3 hours at time in over 4 nights.

3 comments:

Twyst said...

Wow. I'm so glad everyone's alright.

I would make some crack about me not having to worry about kids and what not, but I worry about all of your kids... and everyone else's kids... have pity on a poor uncle!

Jenell said...

Oh the agony of my worry for you. I do not know if I can stand knowing the extent of your worry. I do truly pity this sad man that he would have to worry for someone. Was that good? Did I pity you well enough? LOL
Honestly though thank you, it was a crazy week.

Rachelle said...

I am so glad that mom and dad took the kids for you. There is nothing worse than watching your little ones suffer and knowing there isn't much you can do for them. Not to make you feel bad, but I want you to know this, so that you realize how much they love you and wanted to help... Janetty wasn't doing well at all herself. She had worked herself WAY to hard the day before and day of and could barely move. She couldn't stand for very long and was in a lot of pain. We actually asked her if she could watch the kids for us earlier that evening and she told us that she felt really bad, but she couldn't do it. Then she called back an hour or so later to let us know how sick poor Sawyer and Averie were. She wanted to be there for you guys. Once again, I am not trying to make you feel bad, but mom and dad Giles love you guys SO much and will do just about anything for you guys!
Hope everyone is fully healed!

Love you guys!