Monday, July 28, 2008

???????????????

I'm not sure what to call this post.
Today was Sawyer's birthday and I had planned on doing a post about my sweet little boy turning one. It is crazy to think that he is already a year old. Instead of celebrating his birthday today we spent most of the day in the emergency room with Avarie. Yes, I was just there a couple of weeks ago with her and just a couple of weeks before that. That is what makes all of this so weird and scary.
She had been healing slowly from the sternum bruise, occasionally still needing Motrin, but for the most part doing better. They said it would be a slow heal. Then several days ago she began to complain about her arm. Honestly I just thought she was just looking for a reason to not have to put her pajamas on or brush her teeth or etc. but the complaining began to come more frequent. Then Friday night she woke up in pain, needing medicine, that's when I realized she was actually in pain to wake up from it. The next morning I had my sister in law, Lisa, who is an RN take a look at her. She could tell there was some inflammation around her shoulder and thought possibly it was dislocated. That was her right shoulder. She wasn't in pain as long as I kept up on her Motrin, so I hoped it could wait until Monday so I could take her into the Dr and not have to make another trip the ER, honestly I was hoping it would just go back into the joint, I don't even know if that is possible, but it seemed logical to me at the time. Then this morning, Sunday, she began to really complain, but this time it was her other arm and the one that hurt yesterday seemed OK. I decided it couldn't wait she needed to be looked at.
We had planned on having a picnic with the kids and had baked a cake for Sawyer. We took it all with us and thought we could stop at the ER and be in and out in maybe an hour or just over and then we would go to a park and enjoy the rest of the day. It didn't go as planned.
Off the bat the Dr didn't seem to think it was dislocation and wanted to run some blood work. He found the story of her bruised sternum and high fever interesting. He didn't say the fever necessarily had anything to do with everything else, but he did find it worth noting he said. But the bruised sternum he definitely felt was related somehow, and agreed that it would have taken some pretty serious trauma to have caused all of this and found it also interesting that we had absolutely no idea what happened to her. While waiting for the blood work, he decided to go ahead with an x-ray. He hadn't planned on it but after watching her for over an hour move around the room and not use it, he decided he wanted to rule that out. The x-ray came back fine, and then the blood work came in and everything was fine except she had something elevated that measures inflammation in the body. A normal count is between 0 and 10 and she had 56. He said 80 to 100 is extreme just to put it in perspective. So something was definitely going on, he just had no way of knowing. More tests were needed and so he sent us home with referrals to some really scary places. She is being referred to a Rheumatologist, a Hematologist and The Center For Disease Control. I have no idea what any of them might be looking for, but something is wrong with her and he wanted to get the ball rolling on her case, so he faxed her blood work to all three and gave us discharge instructions to follow up with our Dr for further lab work and testing ASAP.
When I first left and most of the evening I have been OK, but as the evening has wore on and the more I think about this and recount it to people I am starting to get a little scared. We have no idea what any of this could mean. I started to research some online, but her symptoms are too vague or at least I don't know the right terms to search for them under. And I don't know whether to include her fever as a symptom or not. Anyway there are just too many possibilities and it started to get scary some of the things I was finding so I stopped and decided to just wait for the Dr appointments.
I feel calm about it, I'm glad about that. I feel it must be the spirit comforting me. I just feel nervous. Is that an oxymoron to feel calm and nervous. Anyway that's how I feel. I don't feel the need to start crying, I just want to hurry and get some answers.
So, please remember us in your prayers. Especially Avarie, we are all going to need your prayers while we go down this medical mystery road. Hopefully its a really short road with a really simple answer. I feel like its going to be and this is just all an overreaction and a Dr trying to just be careful. But it scares me none the less.

No comments: