I am very sad today. One of our baby guinea pigs, Fudge, died. He was only a couple of weeks old. Its not that I was particularly attached to him its more sadness for my children. Addisen had the babies out back with her friend, Rosie. They were watching them and letting them eat grass. Carter didn't see the one behind his foot and stepped on him. He started to seize. Addisen brought him in to me and I thought maybe he was going to be okay, but then he started to do the death gasp and then went completely still and limp in my hands. It was very strange to be holding something and have it die in your hands. Even though it was just a guinea pig it still makes you think about life and death and I have to try to explain that to my children.
Addisen is devastated, she buried him in the wetland behind our house.
Carter didn't really understand about death. It didn't seem to affect him until just a little bit ago. He is feeling really bad that he caused its death. I am trying to help him understand accidents. I told him that Fudge is really happy right now because he is in Heaven with my dog K.C. and that they are running around and playing together. That made him feel better, it made me feel better to.
This is the first time my kids have ever had to deal with death. So far they are handling it okay. We have started some new rules for when the guineas are out so we can prevent this from happening again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
That's awesome though, while it is really sad, at least it wasn't a dog or even someone they knew and have to go to a funeral... I mean, all that will happen, but having death happen in small doses is really a blessing. They'll pull through I'm sure. Still sad though. Remember that baby possum we found?
Sad! It happened again and this time one of the poor things died...I bet Addisen was hysterical because I remember last time. Tell her that I am sorry. No more guinea pigs outside!
I do remember our possum, his name was Stanley and I bawled when he died.
The kids are doing ok. And your right it is good for them to learn about death in small doses.
The hardest thing for me right now is I keep picturing this little creature seizing and then dieing in my hands. Its really bothering me tonight. I'll be okay, its just hard to keep remembering it.
The guinea pigs need to go outside for exercise and fresh grass to eat. We have just implemented some very strict rules about no one playing or walking anywhere around them. We went over the new rules with all the neighbor kids also. They have to be sitting while anywhere in their presence.
I also related the story of the baby goat I accidentally killed when we lived in Estacada to Carter. That made him feel better. He went and told all the neighbors his version of the story, I had to correct the story to the neighbors he made me sound almost criminal.
i offer my sincere condolences to you for the loss of Fudge. Family pets get to be like family. But what a great mom you are to turn this tragic accident into a learning experience.
I still get sick remembering watching our turtles in NC die. I do not do well with having things die on me. It truly bothers my mind because and weird times I'll think about it and it practically makes me sick. I almost didn't get pets again because I don't want them to die. i think I need therapy because It hits me harder then my kids, and I was even kind of glad the turtles died because I didn't know what we were going to do with them anyway. But there is something awful about witnessing there suffering. Good thing I'm LDS can you imagine what a freak I'd be if I was an atheist.
Post a Comment