Friday, June 13, 2008

Birds and BUGS!!!

So this is my first blog entry. I need major help trying to set this thing up.
Let me start my blog by telling everyone about the most disgusting and creepy thing imaginable. Did you know birds are disgusting dirty creatures. We had a family of sparrows make a nest in our microwave vent. They have been there for a couple of weeks, but we have just been putting up them waiting for the babies to leave the nest so we didn't have to kill them, until 2 days ago. I came downstairs to see something leaking on my wall from under the microwave. I knew almost right away what it was, urine! BIRD URINE! Then the next morning I woke up to see that the urine had returned overnight, I hadn't had a chance to put in a maintenance request yet, but not only was the urine back there was dirt on my stove, I thought that the birds had knocked something down through the vents, but then the dirt moved!!!!!!!!!!!! It wasn't dirt it was some type of little tiny bug. I started bleaching them and cleaning only to find more and more so I kept bleaching and cleaning. I thought I got them all until I opened my microwave to find them crawling all over inside (craig had just used the microwave a little before I discovered the bugs so he had warm bug cereal for breakfast). I put in my maintenance request and they said they would be out tomorrow. In the meantime I discovered that they were Bird Mites and that they can bite and they can cause many diseases like ensephylitis(sp). So the kids went with Craig to stay the night at Grandma Giles and the baby and I camped out upstairs. This morning I woke up to find that not only had the mites returned around the stove and microwave they had infested the entire kitchen, and I mean infested. They were everywhere, the walls, the counters, in my cupboards, on the floors, the sink, the dishwasher, everywhere. So to make a long story shorter, the maintenance person came out, removed the birds, helped do some cleaning, but there were just too many to get them all, by the way bleach does not kill them but it does make it easier to wipe them up and it makes you feel a little bit cleaner. Tomorrow a bug person is coming, but I spent about 3 hours cleaning out all my cupboards and washing dishes trying to get rid of some. The bug person says they will die on their own in a few days, but will come and spray the ones he can see, you have to directly spray them to kill them. I have about 20 bites around my body, mostly my legs and my entire body feels like I have things crawling all over it. I know I'm going to have nightmares tonight about bugs. I hate bugs! I hate BIRDS!

3 comments:

Twyst said...

LOL I can already tell Jenell's going to have the best entries!

I remember I went bird watching a long time ago and found this really, really cool feather and on the ride home I realized it was covered in bird mites. I had to throw it away, I was really, really sad about it hah.

btw, you've been added to the list, you are now associated with the most famous blogger in our family, I'll expect my royalties mailed to my PO Box ok?

Jenell said...

thank you for the wonderful welcome to the famous family bloggers list. I hope I can live up to your expectations of great entries.

Breanna said...

Hi Jenell, glad to see you started your blog. I think it's lots of fun, and what a cute family picture! Totally mortifying about the birds, I'm sorry you had to go through that, it made me itch just reading about it!