I have been meaning to blog for days now and have just been so busy and sick with a horrible cold.
Avarie had her Rheumatology appointment on Friday. It went well, I guess. She has been diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA). They don't know what causes it or what her prognosis will be. That is a little frustrating, but there is a lot that they can do for it so that is great. She is going on Friday to have a cortizon shot injected into her right ankle. The ankle is just not doing well and the Dr. is concerned about it. We don't want it to start effecting her muscle and bone development around her foot since she has been limping oddly with it for almost a month. They will put her slightly under for it, since the injection is directly into the joint and very painful. Supposedly this will help her a lot and should put the arthritis in remission in that joint for up to a year. Her shoulder is doing better gradually on its own (with the Neproxin). So we don't think she will need any additional measures to the shoulder. However, her other ankle has started to bother her a little the last day or so. I am not sure if it is the JRA effecting it or if it is the extra pressure on it from her limping and putting more weight on it so she doesn't have to use the other ankle. We'll show it to the Dr on Friday.
The one other thing they said about JRA that they don't know why this is but JRA kids tend to have a lot of problems with their eyes. I can't remember what exactly she said is the problem they have (there was a lot of info coming at us that day). But she will need to see an Optomologist soon and see one once a year for the rest of her life. I set the appointment up, she goes in September.
All in all I feel good about everything. The diagnosis could have been worse, I felt that this was probably the diagnosis before even going so it wasn't a big surprise. I am hoping that Avarie will be one of those kids that once we get the couple of inflamed joints under control she will go into remission of sorts. They say some kids can have their symptoms relieved and then go years or even never have them return. There is no way to know any of this though, it is all just a wait and see and treat it as it comes.
So sorry I didn't post sooner, It was a very busy and long weekend. I read the last Twilight book though, I'll have to post about that later I have conflicting feelings about some things in it. I loved it and yet feel somewhat unsatisfied with the ending and certain things in it.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
It is very unfortunate that Avarie has to go through all this at such a young age. She is in our thoughts and we hope that the RJA clears up for her!
I found my background at thecutestblogontheblock.com. I am so excited to be blogging with all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment