Friday, August 8, 2008

Ramblings!

Craig and I talked a lot about the Zakk situation and came to some conclusions. We have decided we will not make him go to church with us when he is here. We will ask him each week if he wants to and let him know that we would like him to, but we will be careful to never extend that to a point that makes him feel uncomfortable. The reality is, is Zakk was never raised in the church. He doesn't understand our beliefs. As much as we talk to him about it, it is still a foreign thing to a 16 year old boy. We don't want to make him not want to come to our home. We love him here, I would keep him if I could. I just might need a little help with the grocery bill because that boy can eat more then Craig and I combined and honestly I am not kidding, it is scary how much he can put down and does. I know with in our own family that there are those that felt they were forced to go and were forced and then rebelled against church completely. I did it, I don't know if I felt forced so much, but I definitely rebelled against going and purposely remember getting a job that worked me on Sunday's to avoid going. I don't want my kids to ever feel the gospel is forced, because then if you think about it I am taking away their agency. I've never thought of it that way....(I'm having a deep thought at the moment.....) I'm sure there is a good arguement against this, but I'm just realizing, we believe that when a child turns 8 they are accountable, that doesn't mean they don't still have rules and guidelines, but at 16 I would think someone would be old enough to make that decision about church or not for themself. Part of the whole purpose of this life is our agency, yes there are consequences to our choices, agency is not free, but I'm not sure it is my place to make my children attend church if they are choosing not to. I hate the idea of this, let me just say that, I want my children to go and love it, but I also don't want to push them further away from it by forcing it. Man this parenting thing is tough, is there really a right answer to this question I don't know. I can honestly see it both ways. Sorry I'm probably rambling, but these are all thoughts I am just having as I am writing.
I want to do the right thing to help ensure that my children are as happy and complete as possible. And by happy I do mean both eternally and earthly, which I believe are one, but I don't think I can force someone to be happy. Actually I know you can't force someone to be happy, but as parents is it OK to say these are our rules in this home we go to church on Sunday, and I feel completely OK about that, but then how do you handle agency and the thought of pushing a child away and feeling bad about the gospel and rebelling from it rather then embracing it? I wish I had the right answer to this. I can see it both ways. AAAHHHH!

2 comments:

Twyst said...

Teach Zack good principles to live his life by. Respect, humility, sincerity, etc. Right now Zack has his head stuck around tough doubts, and you can't just hope to have enough talks and explanations to hopefully resolve them and he'll magically want to go to church. He has to choose to resolve them. If he learns about charity and love, you have done all you can. "Teach them wisdom in their youth" does not mean 'make them go to church so in 10 years they'll thank you for it' in my opinion.

Jenell said...

I agree with what you are saying but unfortunately in Zakk's case we only spend the equivelent of maybe 2 months out of the year combined with him. The rest of the time it is a phone call once a week or so. Theres not a lot of teaching that can go on in that small amount of time. Not to say that some can't go on, just not as much as we would hope.