Saturday, September 6, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten!!!



Carter started school on Thursday, it's just taken me awhile to post the pictures, sorry. He is in a.m. kindergarten. His teacher seems like a very sweet old lady named Mrs. Person. He walks to school each morning with the neighbor kids and then rides the school bus home. We barely live with in the one mile radius for them to not bus, but they provide buses for all the kindergarteners in the afternoon. I guess they figure they are safe walking in the mornings and after school when the whole school is out on the streets too.
Thursday his bus was late getting him home, it got lost. Carter kept trying to give the bus driver directions to his house, but the bus driver wouldn't listen I guess he thought a Kindergartener couldn't possibly know his way around his neighborhoods, but Carter rides his bike all over the place with his friends and our family bike rides, he knew the way home. The bus driver listened to him on Friday when he almost got lost again.
Carter did Kindergarten last year for part of the year before
we moved. He was a young kindergartener though and when we moved we just home schooled, but Carter was just not quite ready for reading and understanding somethings, so we decided to do "K" again. I think he will do great this year and really enjoy it.
Addisen started school on Tuesday and sorry I don' t have any pictures of her on her first day, I know I 'm a horrible mom. It didn't occure to me to take pictures until right before Carter got home from school on his first day. She is in the 3rd grade and has a young and very nice teacher named Mrs. Powell. So far she is loving school. She rides her bike to school with the neighbor girl and they lock them up together and then ride home together after school. Luckily the weather is wonderful right now so the kids look forward to leaving for school every morning, but I am worried what we'll do when the weather turns bad, I guess I'll have to start driving them, but I hate trying to get everyone in and out of the car several times a day. I've always had to do that with all the schools we've been in. It doesn't matter where I live I've never had bus service for the kids and have had to drive them everyday.
So far the kids are loving school and I have to admit I am enjoying them being at school.
Avarie was going to be in Head start this year but we just got a call yesterday that she didn't get in. She is on a short waiting list though and I am going to call on Monday and see if I can get her in by telling them about her JRA. It slows her mobility(extremely) and I think I may be able to work that get her in. Its worth a try anyway because she was so looking forward to being able to go. They offered a program where a teacher comes into our home once a week and works with her and then every Wednesday they go to a class room for socialization and an occasional field trip. I'm considering it. I really wanted her to have something that she gets to go and do and make friends though and honestly I don't want to have to make sure my house is completely clean that day and then have to go every Wednesday and stay with her, it takes away from me getting to get things done. I know that sounds probably horrible, but after the last year of having my kids home every single day all day I was really looking forward to them being gone sometimes and them having fun while being gone.






2 comments:

mommyof6 said...

Carter looks so cute! I'm glad everything is working out (except for poor Avarie) maybe something better will come along.

Harries Family said...

Cute pictures! That is funny about Carter telling the driver directions, I can picture him sitting on the bus being very frusterated and trying to tell the driver where to go...he is so funny!